TMZ released audio of a conversation between Sterling and his girlfriend V. Stiviano. Sterling was upset she took a picture with Magic Johnson and posted it to her Instagram account. The conversation took a very disturbing turn. Here’s a few of the quotes.
– “It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you’re associating with black people. Do you have to?” (3:30)
– “You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that … and not to bring them to my games.” (5:15)
– “I’m just saying, in your lousy f******* Instagrams, you don’t have to have yourself with, walking with black people.” (7:45)
– “…Don’t put him [Magic] on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me. And don’t bring him to my games.” (9:13)
Ironically Sterling’s girlfriend is black and Mexican. Of course Magic Johnson was appalled by the comments.
“It’s a shame that Donald Sterling feels that way about African-Americans.”
He adds, “He has a team full of amazing African-American basketball players that are working to bring a championship to Clippers fans. The Clippers also have a strong minority fan base.”
Sadly this isn’t Sterling’s first offense. He’s been sued twice by the federal government for allegedly refusing to rent apartments to Blacks and Latinos.
He was also sued by former Clippers exec Elgin Baylor for racial discrimination — though a jury was ultimately not convinced and shot down Baylor’s case.
It’s sad that such a great team is owned by a deplorable man.
– Shaina Auxilly (@Shay_Marie)