Briant K. Mitchell offers tips to a healthier lifestyle while giving hope to residents
Ferguson’s popular BKM Fitness Bootcamp almost didn’t survive the drama and violence that engulfed the quiet St. Louis suburb since the shooting of Michael Brown Jr. Located on S. Florissant Road where many of the protests and media were stationed, BKM was at the epicenter of a volatile environment that had become unpredictable. After the grand jury failed to indict Darren Wilson for killing Michael Brown Jr., BKM became a casualty of the “Ferguson Riots”, but was saved from being burned down by the pleas of concerned neighbors.
Sticking to his workout motto of “You’ll survive,” Mitchell promised to do just that! He quickly repaired the damages and refused to abandon Ferguson.
“I love my city and I have a responsibility to St. Louis. My focus is to keep my clients healthy and help them achieve their goals no matter what.”
Almost 125 people have lost over 50 pounds and 23 people lost over 100 pounds at BKM in one year. President of the Missouri Black Expo and BKM client Tom Bailey lost over 64 pounds. Bailey says, “the center is a place where people can maintain a sense of peace through exercise despite their surroundings while adopting a healthy lifestyle.”
Candice “CB” Brown, who lost 43 pounds in less than 3 months agrees. “Working out here is my therapy. It draws me away from the negativity and it becomes my happy place for one hour,” she explains.
Mitchell is excited about continuing to change lives and hopes people understand that Ferguson is more than what they saw on the news. “We are one family here at BKM. We’re diverse. We all love each other and we’re not going to be divided,” says Mitchell.
Here are Briant K. Mitchell’s five tips to better health!
1. Adequate sleep: 6-8 hours is the recommended amount each night.
2. Meal prep: preparing your meals ahead of time is everything! Make sure the meals are low in fat and refined carbs.
3. Cardio: 45 minutes to an hour of cardio 4-5 times a week.
4. Weight training: lose the weight, tone the muscles.
5. Support system: surround yourself with like-minded individuals who will support your journey. Avoid naysayers and all negativity. Live your best life!!