OJ Simpson is one step closer to getting out of prison. Maybe. He has been told he will have a chance to convince parole commissioners to let him out of prison early when he appears before them in July. The State Department of Corrections has set a parole hearing for July 20.
If successful, Simpson, who was convicted in 2008 of kidnapping and robbery, could be released from prison on Oct. 1.
Simpson won’t appear in person before the four commissioners. He will be piped in via closed-circuit television from Lovelock Correctional Facility where he is serving a 33-year sentence.
The Parole Board anticipates so much media interest that they have set up a website about the case.
When he was sentenced in 2008, he was told he would be eligible for parole after nine years. This is Simpson’s second parole hearing. He was granted parole on the kidnapping charges in 2013 but is still serving time on the robbery charges.
Simpson is serving time after being convicted on Oct. 3, 2008, of arranging the robbery of two sports memorabilia dealers in a Las Vegas hotel room.
The guilty verdict came 13 years to the day that he had been acquitted of killing his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and a waiter, Ron Goldman.
Simpson was found responsible for the killings at a civil trial in 1997.