A 32 week pregnant woman ordered a latte from a Canadian McDonald’s but got cleaning liquid instead.
Sarah Douglas said she stopped at a McDonald’s drive-through in Lethbridge, Alberta, while driving her child to a baseball competition on Sunday, CBC News revealed. She said she ordered a latte and proceeded on her path — until taking a taste.
“I immediately had to put my hazard lights on and pull over and spit it out and rinse my mouth out,” Douglas told CBC News.
EXCLUSIVE UPDATED: @lethnewsnow has received a statement from @McDonalds Corporate Relations Communications with a statement from the franchisee owner, Dan Brown. It includes an apology and promise to review proper cleaning procedures for employees. #yqlhttps://t.co/c8ge7Iblbj pic.twitter.com/0YlU1lLFC7
— Lara Fominoff (@LaraFominoff) July 30, 2018
The mother said she at that point removed the top and was hit by the “pungent smell of chemical.” She returned to the fast food chain to pick a bone with the manager.
“I showed him the coffee and he had asked if I wanted a new one, and I said, ‘Absolutely not, this is unacceptable.’ I said I need to speak to someone higher up and he said he was the only supervisor on at the time, and he gave me his manager’s phone number,” she recalled.
A crew member later revealed to Douglas cleaning lines were joined to the espresso machine. “I took a picture of it, so I knew what I was working with — what I had consumed so I could talk to 811 and poison control,” Douglas said.
The jug of cleaning arrangement, which Douglas shot, had warning reading “causes serious eye irritation” and “may cause an allergic skin reaction.” And also, “Keep out of reach of chil
Douglas called poison control yet said she felt OK on Monday. Dan Brown, owner of the McDonald’s, apologized for the episode.
“McDonald’s is renowned for its food safety protocols and I am sorry that this happened in my restaurant here in Lethbridge,” Brown said in a statement.
“What happened is that the machine was being cleaned as it is every morning. Unfortunately, the milk supply line was connected to the cleaning solution while this guest’s drink was made,” he explained. He said a health inspector later examined the restaurant.
Douglas said she needed her story to get out there to educate others and push eateries to uphold better security measures.
“As a mother, I want to make sure I have [a] voice and that I’m being heard in terms of the safety of consumers,” she said.