Whether you love or hate VH1’s Love & Hip Hop, it’s no secret that the ladies stay with their faces beat and “on fleek.” Celebrity makeup artist Whitney Coss took a few minutes out of her busy schedule to chat with Her Source and share a few of her favorite beauty secrets.
Whitney Coss, aka @lipstickqueenx on Twitter, is the purple haired gawdess who makes the beauties of VH1’s Love & Hip Hop look even more beautiful. She took a time out from her busy face-beating schedule to share her top ten beauty tricks with us. In no particular order, here they are:
1. Less is more. A little bit of make-up goes a long way.
2. My favorite mascara to use on myself and clients is “They’re Real!” by Benefit. It’s amazing!
3. The thickness of your eyebrows should be proportionate to the fullness of your lips. If you have small lips, then your eyebrows should be thinner.
4. Instead of using a pencil to fill in your eyebrows, try using eyeshadow. This makes the brows look softer, and gives the face a more delicate look, as opposed to the harsher look a pencil can give.
5. Ben Nye’s translucent powders are amazing, especially to set your make-up or highlight the face. (The Banana powder is a favorite of Kim Kardashian).
6. MAC’s Fix Plus spray can be used before and after the make-up application. The caffeine in it will help wake your skin up before a a makeup application, and a few spritzes afterwards will help keep your makeup looking fresh all day.
7. Dark lipsticks make the lips look smaller, as opposed to lighter and more natural shades.
8. Blending is key when applying make-up. Everything should all blend in together nicely for a more natural and soft finish.
9. You do not have to spend a lot of money on make-up; they carry products just as amazing as the high end stuff at your local beauty supply store or pharmacy.
10. Make-up is not supposed to make you look like a completely different person; it should be used to enhance the features you were already blessed with.
Check out some of Whitney’s work on your favorite stars below.