“A threat to public order” is in the forecast for France, after it became the globe’s first nation to ban anti-Israel protests in July 2014
In what some are calling an overt attack on democracy, France became the first nation in global history to ban pro-Palestine demonstrations. The ban of this weekends’ march in Paris is the first incident that implements the law since the ban last July, as reported by Daily Mail. Minister Bernard Cazeneuve says it is “A threat to public order”, during the aftermath of the attack on French publication Charlie Hebdo last week. Mr Cazeneuve said:
I consider that the conditions are not right to guarantee security.
Despite opposition from pro-palestinian groups who have been promoted the march, Minister Cazeneuve advised all protestors who turn up to an illegal demonstration will face up to a year in prison, and a 15,000 euro fine. Authorities across France have been advised by the Minister to examine all planned marches, and to ban if considered a threat. Officials have been on high alert after the fights broke out last Sunday, between Ultra Jewish vigilantes and pro-Palestinian groups after a demonstration.
Anyone who avoids being identified by covering their faces receives a 45,000 fine, and will face up to three years in prison. Anyone who posts details of an illegal rally online through social media may face up to a year, and a 15,000 euro fine. Prison time can be increased to seven years and a 100,000 fine if the posts lead to violent activity.