Knock out stress and insomnia with this quick and easy technique. And no, it’s not just for the ladies!
As we all know, stress contributes to a number of negative side effects, especially for women. From weight gain, and hair loss, to lack of sleep, being stressed can be extremely detrimental to the body. As mothers, business women, full-time students, girlfriends and wives, there are a thousand different ‘to-do’ lists running through our heads. We may not have found the cure for preventing stress, but with a few short steps, we can help you cope with the uneasy feelings stress brings on.
Dr. Andrew Weil has introduced a breathing trick that relieves anxiety and can knock that insomnia right out! It’s called the “4-7-8 Technique” and is very similar to yoga breathing practices that can clear your mind, and help eliminate the 101 thoughts before bed.
Here are the quick and easy steps:
- Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
- This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat three more times for a total of four cycles.
Don’t miss out on your full eight hours of sleep tonight; inhale relaxation, and exhale stress with the “4-7-8 Technique.”
Watch here for a full tutorial: