Woman reveals painful memories as the Nigerian military continue to rescue more victims

300 women and children have been freed from captivity and the horrific assaults and rapes imposed on them by vicious Islamist terrorist group, Boko Haram, who target women and children. Some of those victims are now speaking out.

Boko Haram have been targeting schools since 2010. One of their attacks last year ignited a firestorm of media attention and outcry when the terrorists entered a private boarding school in Chibok Borno state Nigeria and kidnapped 300 girls. Activists launched the “Bring Back our Girls” campaign, but as soon as the media frenzy died, so did the focus to rescue many women and children who are still being kidnapped and raped everyday by Boko Haram.

Recently, almost 300 women and children have been brought to safety, but a number of them died in the crossfire between the military and terrorists. Overall, 700 victims have been freed. Former hostages who survived are now revealing the atrocities they endured under Boko Haram. Their somber stories somehow mirror those of holocaust survivors. Although many always say they cannot believe the Holocaust was allowed to happen, history is repeating itself while the world ignores the genocide Boko Haram is currently committing.


Lami Musa, who survived, told her story to BBC. She says that the husband and sons of the women captured were shot on sight by Boko Haram and taken into the Sambisa forest. Many of the women were sold into marriage, some were stoned to death and others were repeatedly raped. They were fed ground maize once a day and the children were purposely underfed as well. Some women watched as others were killed day by day and sold into marriage. Musa, 27, says she avoided being sold off into marriage after Boko Haram terrorist discovered she was pregnant.

“When they realized I was pregnant, they said I was impregnated by an infidel [her husband] and they killed him. The militants said that once you deliver in a week’s time, we will marry you to our commander. I delivered at night and we were rescued by the soldiers the following morning.”

-Abesi Manyando(@abesipr)