As we all know, February’s the month where we celebrate Black History by sharing, discussing, and educating each other about past and present influencers, inventors and more amazing people in African American culture. There’s a plethora of Black living legends in the entertainment business who’ve watched the world (and the entertainment industry) evolve into what we know today.
Debbie Allen has danced her way into our hearts literally and figuratively by being one the most multifaceted entertainers in the business. In case you are sleeping on Ms. Allen: three Emmy Awards, a Golden Globe, five NAACP Image Awards, a Drama Desk, an Astaire Award (for Best Dancer), and the Olivier Award. In addition to the awards, she also has four honorary Doctorate degrees, and let’s not forget she has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Even though there we could go on and on about this woman and her accomplishments, here are five reasons why Debbie Allen is #BlackGirlMagic.
- She has directed, produced, and starred in some of television’s most influential shows, as well as being the reason why we will forever have Dewayne Wayne and Whitley Gilbert in our hearts. If you take a look at credits to some of your favorite shows and movies, you’ll see Debbie Allen has been a part of classics like FAME, Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, How To Get Away With Murder, Jane the Virgin, Empire, A Different World, Everybody Hates Chris, Stompin’ At The Savoy, That’s So Raven and many more.
- She visited The White House yesterday [Monday, February 8] with her Debbie Allen Dance Academy students. Even though Debbie is a dance teacher, she still dances with her students.
- Debbie Allen Is Hip Hop. Debbie stopped by Sway In The Morning in 2014 and dropped gems and a few Kool Moe Dee bars.
4. She is constantly giving empowering messages and quotes to make sure we all can be as successful as possible and understand our creativity.
- “But out of limitations comes creativity.”
- “Failure: Is it a limitation? Bad timing? It’s a lot of things. It’s something you can’t be afraid of, because you’ll stop growing. The next step beyond failure could be your biggest success in life.”
5. Her and Phylicia Rashad are sisters, and they have been gorgeous inside and out their entire lives.