A female NYPD officer died after being shot in the face Wednesday morning in the Bronx while sitting in her marked police vehicle with her partner, the police department said.

Visit streaming.thesource.com for more information

“Police Officer Miosotis Familia has been assassinated in an unprovoked attack on cops assigned to keep NYers safe,” NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill said in a statement. “Keep her family in your prayers.”

A man walked up to the police vehicle at 183rd Street and Morris Avenue about 12:30 a.m. and fired one shot from a handgun, hitting the 12-year veteran, O’Neill said. Her partner radioed for help, he said.


Before the shooting, the man was seen going into a bodega, exiting, pulling up his hoodie and then walking over to police vehicle, officials said.

Familia and her partner were sitting in what is called “a command vehicle” — which is about the size of a motor home and is meant to be a visible presence in a neighborhood, police said.

The fleeing man, later identified as Alexander Bonds, 34, of the Bronx, encountered a uniformed police sergeant and a uniformed officer about a block away and the man drew a revolver, O’Neill said.

“The officers fired at him, striking and killing him,” the commissioner said. “A silver revolver was recovered at the scene.”

A bystander was hospitalized in stable condition after being struck by a bullet during the encounter with Bonds, O’Neill said.

Police said later that Bonds was on parole from a robbery conviction in Syracuse in May 2013.

A number of unprovoked attacks on police officers in recent years have raised concerns.

Officers Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos were shot and killed in their patrol car in Brooklyn in December 2014 by a man with a history of mental illness.

Two months earlier, Officer Kenneth Healey, a recent graduate of the Police Academy, was standing with other officers on the street in Queens when they were attacked by a man with a hatchet. Officers shot and killed the man, but Healey suffered a severe head injury from a blow by the hatchet and did not return to work for almost three years.