Share:

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Mail
  • Copy URL Link copied
  • Text Message
  • Reddit



What should have been a regular day in fifth grade, turned out to be a drug scare for the students in New Mexico. A nine-year-old gave her fellow classmates what she believed to be gummy bears,  but later found out they were infused with marijuana.

The candy had been laced with Tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC which is the chemical responsible for the affects on the brain after marijuana usage. The dean of elementary students at Albuquerque School of Excellence, Kristi del Curto told The Albuquerque Journal that the fifth grader brought the box of gummies she found at home and shared with friends at the school cafeteria one morning. “She thought she was sharing candy, and if you saw the picture on the box, it did look like candy.”

Teachers started to notice that something was wrong when one student began feeling dizzy during class. After being sent to the school nurse, the officials determined that the fifth grader had eaten THC laced gummies. Afterward, students were asked over the loud speaker to report if they had eaten any of the candy as well. Del Curto said

“five other students had gummies. Some did not seem to have been affected, and some others were giggly. The student who brought the candies felt ill after eating five.”

One student told KRQE News 13 that she immediately realized they were not ordinary candies after she ate one and started feeling dizzy. Paramedics were called to the scene later to check on the students. Later that day parents were informed of the incident by school officials, according to the school’s Facebook page..

Advertisement

“We would like to remind all students and parents to be cautious about food/drink sharing… and we would like our community to be alert with drugs and any edibles that may or could be in different formats. We kindly ask our parents and community members not to talk explicitly about drugs/medicine when students are present.”