• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Mail
  • Copy URL Link copied
  • Text Message
  • Reddit

Jon “Bones” Jones was arrested today in Albuquerque. His charges are driving under the influence, negligent use of a firearm, and possession of an open container early.

The UFC light heavyweight champion is a native of upstate New York and trains in New Mexico.

According to a criminal complaint obtained by local station KOAT, officers responded just after 1 a.m. in reference to gunshots fired. They found Jones inside his vehicle with the engine on.

Jones told police he did not know anything about the shots fired. However, Jones admitted he had been driving and police noticed signs of intoxication. He informed them that he was intending to drive.


Jones then failed a sobriety test and when given a Breathalyzer he tested at least twice above the legal limit.

A Dangerous Encounter

Police found a black handgun under the driver’s seat. They also found a half-empty bottle of Recuerdo 750ml behind the passenger seat.

Jones was charged with aggravated DWI, negligent use of a firearm and possession of an open container.

“As part of the investigation into this incident, our Gun Violence Reduction Unit will test the firearm and bullet casing to determine whether the gun has been used in any crimes,” Albuquerque Police Director of Communications, Gilbert Gallegos said. “Reducing gun violence in Albuquerque is our top priority.”

Jones was released and his bond arraignment hearing is on April 8th or 9th. This is the fighter’s second DWI, his first was in 2012.

A Troubled Career

The UFC issued a statement saying it was aware of the situation and has been “in contact with Jones’ management team and is currently gathering additional information.”

According to Bernalillo County District Attorney’s Office spokesperson Michael Patrick, Jones was on probation. He caught a disorderly conduct charge stemming from an April 2019 strip-club incident, but that ended on Jan. 8, Patrick told ESPN.

“Prosecutors are working with local law enforcement and will get the lapel video and other available discovery evidence from the arresting officer within the next 48 hours,” Patrick said, regarding the current DWI case.