In Minneapolis, a man is dead after a police officer put his knee on the man’s neck and kept it there. The action occurred despite pleas by the man that he couldn’t breathe.

Visit for more information

In a video, a Minneapolis police officer is shown with his knee on the neck of a motionless, moaning man at the foot of a squad car.

The man later died.


On Monday night, cops were responding to a “forgery in progress.” Police arrived and saw the suspect sitting in a car. According to the Department, the man resisted arrest so he was placed in handcuffs, adding “he appeared to be suffering medical distress.”

“Officers were advised that the suspect was sitting on top of a blue car and appeared to be under the influence,” the statement said. “Two officers arrived and located the suspect, a male believed to be in his 40s, in his car. He was ordered to step from his car.

“After he got out, he physically resisted officers. Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress. Officers called for an ambulance.”

The Police Dept. also added, “At no time were weapons of any type used by anyone involved in this incident.”

A Disturbing Pattern

However, the video is incredibly disturbing, showing the man on the ground in cuffs, as an officer puts his knee on his neck.

He soon cries out, “Please, I can’t breathe.” The officer doesn’t budge, as another officer passively watches.

Multiple passersby scream, “That’s bulls***, bro. You’re stopping his breathing right there, bro. Get him off the ground, bro,” adding the officer was “enjoying it.”

The man becomes motionless, an ambulance shows up and the man is taken to a hospital where he died.

Later, Minneapolis police said the FBI is joining the investigation of the incident.

Two of the officers involved have been put on paid administrative leave, the department says. The officer’s body cams were on and activated during the incident.

The incident has the fingerprints of the 2014 Eric Garner death in Staten Island. Daniel Pantaleo, a New York City Police officer, put him in a chokehold while arresting him. With multiple officers restraining him, Garner repeated the words “I can’t breathe” 11 times.

Garner was pronounced dead one hour later. Officer Pantaleo was placed on desk duty following Garner’s death.

Video footage of the incident generated widespread national attention. It raised questions about the appropriate use of force by law enforcement.