It has long been an insider’s joke that you never want to be a person of color at Fenway Park in Boston. Now the secret is indeed a certified fact.

Former major league outfielder Torii Hunter discussed the racial abuse he received over the years at Boston Red Sox’s Fenway Park.

On Wednesday, the Boston Red Sox responded vowing to continue to improve as an organization in that area.

Advertisement

“Torii Hunter’s experience is real. If you doubt him because you’ve never heard it yourself, take it from us, it happens,” the Red Sox said in a statement. “Last year, there were 7 reported incidents at Fenway Park where fans used racial slurs. Those are just the ones we know about.

“And it’s not only players. It happens to the dedicated Black employees who work for us on game days. Their uniforms may be different, but their voices and experiences are just as important.”

In fact, Hunter added no-trade clauses in his contracts he said on ESPN’s Golic and Wingo last week.

“I’ve been called the N-word in Boston 100 times,” Hunter said. “Little kids, with their parents right next to them. … That’s why I had a no-trade clause to Boston in every contract I had.”

Taking It Serious

In their statement Wednesday, the Red Sox said they would remain committed; “to using our platform to amplify the many voices who are calling out injustice.”

“There are well-established consequences for fans who use racial slurs and hate speech in our venue; and we know we have more work to do,” the team said.

“This small group of fans does not represent who we are; but are rather a reflection of larger systemic issues that as an organization we need to address. True change starts from within, and as we identify how we can do better, please know that we are listening.”