Family of Jahi McMath receives time to submit appeal
McMath, a 13-year-old Oakland native, was first declared brain dead two weeks ago following a tonsillectomy that caused her to bleed profusely and sent her into cardiac arrest. Upon announcing McMath brain dead, doctors at Children’s Hospital in Oakland have persistently encouraged the family of McMath to have the child taken off of life support.
In high hopes for a miracle, McMath’s family has insisted on keeping the child connected to a breathing machine until they come to terms in regards to whether they will appeal Judge Evelio Grillo’s decision to allow Children’s Hospital to have McMath taken off of life support or if they themselves will allow the hospital to do so.
“I will pull out all the stops to make sure my little girl will have every opportunity there is for her to make a recovery,” tweeted McMath’s uncle, Omari Sealey.
According to CBS News, though McMath has legally been declared brain dead, her family has expressed their beliefs about her still being alive and feels that she should not be taken off of life support without their permission.
“It’s wrong from someone who made mistakes on your child to just call the coroner … and not respect the family’s feelings or right,” said McMath’s grandmother, Sandra Chatman.
Despite being in agreement that the hospital should have McMath taken off of life support, Judge Evelio Grillo has granted the family until 5 P.M. Dec. 30 to submit an appeal.
- Antionette Latrese (@_ALatrese)
About the Author (Author Profile)
Sites That Link to this Post
- Alameda Judge Grants McMath Family Time To Submit Court Appeal | December 26, 2013
- Family of brain-dead Calif. girl weighs aid offers – Washington Post | Amazing News | December 26, 2013
- Brain-dead Teen, Jahi McMath, Placed In Mother’s Custody : TheSource | January 6, 2014
- Jahi McMath Family To Receive Award From Terri Schiavo Foundation : TheSource | February 28, 2014
- Jahi McMath Family To Receive Award From Terri Schiavo Foundation | Gates Street Heat | February 28, 2014