After being indicted last February for failing to register as a sex offender, Nicki Minaj’s husband, Kenneth Petty, has struck a plea deal.
Petty pleaded guilty to one count of failing to register as a sex offender on Friday and agreed to a deal with the United States Attorney’s Office for the Central District of California.
This stems from a July 2019 move to California with wife, Nicki Minaj. The feds said Petty never registered with local authorities as a sex offender. A requirement of his 1995 conviction in NY for first-degree attempted rape.
Under the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act, offenders are legally required to update registration in “each jurisdiction they reside, are employed, or attend school.” Failure to properly register and update personal information within a jurisdiction is considered a federal offense and can result in fines and a maximum 10-year prison sentence.
Under the terms of the agreement, USAO has agreed to sentence Petty on the low end of the sentencing guideline spectrum. The mandatory minimum he could receive is five years of supervised release.
Nicki Minaj has always defended her husbands actions against fans who have criticized her choice to marry a sex offender. She has previously clapped back on fans commenting on Petty’s former rape charge.
“He was 15, she was 16… in a relationship. But go awf, Internet,” she commented on Instagram. “Y’all can’t run my life. Y’all can’t even run y’all own life. Thank you boo.”
Nicki Minaj and Kenneth Petty grew up together in Queens, New York. Minaj has said Petty was one of her first real boyfriends as they began dating when she was 16.
What’s your thoughts on the plea deal? Share below.