“Begin Again” is now playing in select theaters and hits theaters everywhere July 2.
Begin Again is an inspiring, uplifting romantic drama that will leave you smiling throughout the whole movie. John Carney’s latest film stars Mark Ruffalo, Keira Knightley, and Adam Levine as the main characters. This story follows two souls who are disoriented through loss in their relationships. Gretta (played by Keira Knightley) is a British singer-songwriter who has moved to the US with boyfriend Dave Kohl (Adam Levine). But when the couple finds success in the music industry, their five year relationship takes a toll when Dave cheats on her and decides to go solo. Dan (Mark Ruffalo) is an ex record-label executive who finds himself into a career path of alcoholism after his wife betrays him for another man whom never committed to her. Fallen out of place as a parental figure and music mogul, he finds himself in a state of cessation.
Gretta and Dan first meet at bar where Dan is intoxicated, and Gretta reluctantly plays for a dead crowd ushered by her friend, Steve (played by the hilarious James Corden). Dan becomes entranced with her sound and the two get together to make an album. Throughout the journey, both of them find each other by exploring their roots in music together. The musical aspect of this movie is spectacular; the soundtrack plays along with the theme of the story as the characters develop, delivering sentiments of comfort and delight along with liveliness and empathy.
Even though the plotline is somewhat stereotypical and done before, it outperforms much of the competition under the genre. In many ways, Gretta and Dan resemble everyday individuals; everyone has felt lonely, bitter, and dejected at some point in life. This film authentically captures these elements and turns it into optimism, something that we should all attempt to do. The musicality and the talents, coupled along with the unique perspective John Carney takes on of encapturing two souls brought together by music makes for a fairytale story in a commonplace setting that will uplift your soul.
The film also boasts noteworthy appearances from Yasiin Bey (Mos Def), who plays Mark Ruffalo’s business partner and record label co-founder. Cee Lo Green has a few hilarious scenes in the film. He plays one of the artists that Mark’s character Dan helped to discover and sign, ultimately catapulting him to superstardom.
– Tristen Yang
In related news, Adam Levine’s 222 Records recently announced a partnership with Interscope Records. The labels will jointly release the soundtrack for the film “Begin Again” via ALXNDR/222/Polydor/Interscope on July 1. The soundtrack features songs co-written by Gregg Alexander, Danielle Brisebois, Nick Lashley, Nick Southwood, Rick Nowels, John Carney and Glen Hansard.
1. “Lost Stars” – Adam Levine
2. “Tell Me If You Wanna Go Home” – Keira Knightley
3. “No One Else Like You” – Adam Levine
4. “Horny” – Cee Lo Green
5. “Lost Stars” – Keira Knightley
6. “A Higher Place” – Adam Levine
7. “Like a Fool” – Keira Knightley
8. “Did It Ever Cross Your Mind” (demo version) – Cessyl Orchestra
9. “Women of the World” (Go on Strike!) – Cee Lo Green
10. “Coming Up Roses” – Keira Knightley
11. “Into the Trance” – Cessyl Orchestra
12. “A Step You Can’t Take Back” – Keira Knightley
13. “Lost Stars” (Into the Night Mix) – Adam Levine (*Deluxe)
14. “The Roof Is Broke” (Demo Mix) – Cessyl Orchestra (*Deluxe)
15. “Tell Me If You Wanna Go Home” (Rooftop Mix) – Keira Knightley and Hailee Steinfeld (*Deluxe)
16. “Intimidated by You” – Cessyl Orchestra (*Deluxe)