Earlier this week, the NBA announced that they will resume playing late next month. However, on Friday, Kevin Durant told ESPN’s The Undefeated that he will not be returning for the remainder of the 2019-2020 season. Durant has not played since he tore his Achilles in game 5 of the 2019 NBA finals, and this past year, he announced he had contracted the coronavirus.
“It’s just best for me to wait,” Durant said. “I don’t think I’m ready to play that type of intensity right now in the next month. It gives me more time to get ready for next season and the rest of my career. “My season is over. I don’t plan on playing at all. We decided last summer when it first happened that I was just going to wait until the following season. I had no plans of playing at all this season.”
Durant said that he is not rushed to rehabilitate. He also said that he has fully recovered from his coronavirus diagnosis from March. He also stated that he believes the NBA will have a healthy environment to play in when the season returns.
“I was shocked. And then I was curious. I wanted to know what it meant. What is the virus about? I started to get information about it more and more. It calmed me down … I was just more curious to what I was dealing with and how I could fight it myself,” Durant said.